Fabrizio Silvestri is currently a Senior Researcher at Yahoo Labs in Barcelona.
He received his Ph.D. from the Computer Science Department of the University of Pisa in 2004 and his spent (under various roles) the nine years after at the ISTI institute of CNR in Pisa, Italy.
His research interests are mainly focused on Web Information Retrieval with particular focus on Efficiency related problems like Caching, Collection Partitioning, and Distributed IR in general. In his professional activities Fabrizio Silvestri is member of the program committee of many of the most important conferences in IR as well as organizer and, member of the steering committee, of the workshop Large Scale and Distributed Systems for Information Retrieval (LSDS-IR). He is author of more than 60 publications in highly relevant venues spanning from distributed and parallel computing to IR and data mining related conferences. He has been the recipient (together with Ranieri Baraglia) of the best Web Intelligence 2004 paper award, and the recipient of the ECIR 06 best paper award.
Recently Fabrizio Silvestri has been appointed as Work-Package leader and Activity leader of the EU Network of Excellence project S-Cube. In addition, he serves as a member of the steering committee of S-Cube Project. Fabrizio Silvestri has written recently a survey paper for the journal Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval, and has given a keynote speech at the LA-Web 2008 conference with a talk entitled “Past Searches Teach Everything: Including the Future. He is the Program Commitee Chair for the IR track of SPIRE 2011 in Pisa. He is the IR Track Program Committee Chair of the AICCSA 2011 conference. He is the Area Chair for “Search Engine Architectures and Scalability” at SIGIR 2011 and SIGIR 2012. He is the Tutorial Chair for the CIKM 2012 conference. He is member of the senior program committee of ECIR 2011 and 2012. He is the Industry Track Co-Chair of ECIR 2012. He is the Doctoral Consortium Chair and the Proceedings Chair for the WSDM 2013 conference.
More detailed information can be found in Fabrizio Silvestri’s CV.
- EU FP7 Network of Excellence (NoE) S-Cube: The Software Services and Systems Network (2009-2012).
- EU FP7 Project. ASSETS: Advanced Service Search and Enhancing Technological Solutions for the European Digital Library (2010-2012).
- POR CREO FESR, Regione Toscana. VISITO Tuscany: VIsual Support to Interactive TOurism (2010-2011).
- EU Network of Excellence (NoE) S-Cube: The Software Services and Systems Network.
- Activity Leader: Integrating Knowledge and Resources (IA-1);
- Member of the Project Steering Committee.
- Progetto Strategico Legge 449/97, 1999. ECD: Technologies and Services for Enhanced Contents Delivery (2002-2004).
- Progetto finanziato dalla Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Pisa. WebDigger: un ambiente di Data Mining per l’analisi intelligente di dati Web (2002-2003).
- Progetto FIRB. GridIT: Piattaforme abilitanti per griglie computazionali a elevate prestazioni orientate a organizzazioni virtuali scalabili (2003-2005).
- EU FP6 Integrated Project (IP). NextGRID: Next Generation Grid (2004-2007).
- EU FP6 Network of Excellence (NoE). CoreGRID: European Research Network on Foundations, Software Infrastructures and Applications for large scale distributed, GRID and Peer-to-Peer Technologies (2004-2007).
- Progetto MIUR COFIN2004. GeoPKDD: Geographic Privacy-aware Knowledge Discovery and Delivery (2005 – 2008).
- Progetto Ministero per le Politiche Agricole e Forestali (MiPAF). ESCOGITARE: Uninfrastruttura di E-SCience per gli Istituti di Ricerca del settOre aGro alImenTARE (2005 – 2006).
- EU FP6 STREP Project. SAPIR: Search on Audio-visual content using Peer-to-peer Information Retrieval (2006-2008).